- You could serve this cake warm as an after dinner dessert or cold with a cup of tea or coffee. Try substituting the plums with apples, pears or even rhubarb.
- This is a very easy cake to make so make double and keep one for another time.
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 8 people
- 250g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 240ml almond milk/ soya milk
- 180ml golden syrup
- 30g clear honey
- 125g margarine
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 400g plums – de stoned and sliced
- 5 tablespoons plum/ apricot jam
- Line and grease a 23 cm round cake tin with baking parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/ Gas Mark 3.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, cinnamon and ginger into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Warm the golden syrup, honey and margarine in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Stir in the sugar and keep on a low heat until the margarine and sugar have melted together.
- Remove, set aside and leave to cool.
- Pour the warm syrup mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir well. Add the whisked egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and arrange the sliced plums slices evenly over the surface.
- Bake for about an hour checking after 40 minutes. Cover with foil if the cake starts to burn.
- Melt the jam either in the microwave for 1 minute or in a saucepan set over a medium heat and brush the cake liberally with it.
Tagged in: Almond Milk
, golden syrup
, Plain Flour
, Rosh Hashanah
, Yom Tov