- This chunky cake which I served as my family Friday night dessert features a delicious mix of spices, seeds and walnuts. Serve with ice cream or custard.
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 1 loaf
- 300g self-raising flour
- 175g brown sugar
- 250g apple puree
- 125ml milk or non dairy plant based milk – like almond, coconut, cashew, soya
- 150g margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs ( To make it vegan, use 150g non dairy cream cheese)
- 100g dark choc chips (dairy free)
- 55g chopped walnuts
- pumpkin seeds to sprinkle
- Chopped walnuts, extra, to sprinkle
- Dark choc chips, extra, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
Grease the base and sides of a 1kg loaf tin and line with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang.
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
- Whisk the apple puree, milk, margarine, mixed spice, cinnamon and eggs in a bowl until well combined.
- Add to the flour mixture with the choc chips and walnut. Stir until combined.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds, extra walnuts and extra choc chips.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside in the tin for 10 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tagged in: apple puree
, Friday Night
, Mixed Spice