- This is a firm family Rosh Hashanah favourite and quick to make.
- Enjoy as a dessert or for tea. Using store cupboard ingredients, it is an excellent recipe to have when you need a last minute quick fix sweet!
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 1 loaf ( serves 6 - 8)
- 3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2 cm slices
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 185g margarine
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven to 170C/ 350F/ Gas mark 4.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon.
- In the food processor, cream the margarine and 100g sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased and lined 2 kg loaf tin.
- Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 170 C for about an hour or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Tagged in: Apple cake, Apples, Cinnamon, dessert, Eggs, English, Plain Flour, Rosh Hashanah, Tea, Vanilla