- I was inspired by this year’s Great British Bake Off (GBBO) programme to write this recipe as one of the challenges was to create a coated biscuit bar. My recipe cuts up beautifully and makes delicious lunch box snacks! These are very moreish – the caramel filing is quite addictive!
- I have made them vegan too!
- Preparation Time: 1 hour plus chilling
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Makes: 12 pieces
- For the shortbread base
- 180g non dairy margarine -cut into cubes
- 180g plain flour
- 50g sugar
- Pinch salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- For the Pecan Chocolate Filling
- 200g pecans
- 300g sugar
- 200ml non dairy whipping cream
- 100g non dairy margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- For the Topping
- 50g dark chocolate
- 50g salted pretzels
- You will also need a sugar thermometer or probe
- Preheat the oven to 160C Fan/ 180C
- Line and grease a 22cm square tin so the baking paper comes up the sides.
- For the shortbread, put the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add the margarine and vanilla and whizz it to form breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to the cake tin, then use your hands to press into an even layer.
- Chill for 30 minutes. Prick the base with a fork and then bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
- For the caramel, place the pecans on a tray, toast for about 10 minutes at 200C. then roughly chop. Set aside.
- Put the sugar in the saucepan and cook without stirring until melted and caramelised. Take off the heat and add the cream slowly ( it may spit). Stir in the butter and salt.
- Return to the heat and cook stirring until the caramel reaches 116*C on a sugar thermometer or probe.
- Immediately add the pecans and mix briefly.
- Pour over the shortbread, spread evenly with a spatula and set aside for 4 hours or overnight to cool.
- For the topping, melt the chocolate over a bowl of simmering water, then drizzle or pipe the chocolate over the caramel. Press the pretzels into the chocolate to finish. Leave to set before cutting into bars.
Tagged in: American
, lunch box
, Plain Flour