- Chocolate brownies of all description are always popular but the salted caramel addition to this recipe makes them extra special. Use for party desserts and as a family treat.
- Prep Time:40 minutes plus 20 minutes cooling time
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Serves: 8
- 100g split almonds
- 150g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 160g unsalted butter/ margarine
- 55g plain flour, sieved
- 55g cocoa powder
- 300g dark chocolate - chopped
- Caramel Topping
- 50g butter / margarine
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk/ soya cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100g icing sugar
- 30g plain dark chocolate, coarsely chopped2 tablespoons milk/ soya cream
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse/ flaky sea salt
- Grease and line a 22 cm square baking tin with baking parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F/Gas mark 6.
- Place the almonds on an oven tray and roast for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Lower the oven to 170°C/Gas mark 3.
- Cream the sugar and eggs together. Melt the butter and stir this in with the flour and cocoa.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water. Make sure that the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate and almonds to the egg mixture and stir in.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Level the top and bake for 30 - 40 minutes.
- To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and 1 ½ tablespoons milk/ soya cream; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the vanilla extract and icing sugar; stir with a whisk until smooth.
- Spread mixture evenly over cooled brownies. Let stand 20 minutes or until set.
- Combine 2 tablespoons milk/ soya cream and chocolate and melt over a pan of simmering water. Stir just until smooth; drizzle over caramel.
- Sprinkle with sea salt; let stand until set.
- Cut into small squares and dust with cocoa powder.
Tagged in: Almonds
, childrens party
, Cocoa Powder
, Party Time