- This is a traditional recipe with an addition of ‘Haimisha Mrs Elswood pickled cucumbers.’
- Enjoy as a starter, side dish or part of a buffet or make them jumbo size for a vegetarian main course!
- Chefs Tip: The secret of perfect latkes is to squeeze out as much water as possible before frying.
- Latkes can be re-heated in a warm oven for 10 minutes or frozen.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Makes: 20 – as a side dish or 10 large
- 5 large potatoes (approx. 900g) –peeled and grated
- 1 small onion- peeled and grated
- 2 eggs
- 150g S.R Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- 150g Mrs Elswood Haimisha pickled cucumbers – finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rapeseed oil – for frying
- 3 tablespoons apple Puree
- sprigs of fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon white horseradish sauce
- 2 Haimisha Mrs Elswood pickled cucumbers – roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon sour cream – optional
- Grate the potatoes and onions either by hand or alternatively for an easy option, use the food processor.
- Squeeze the potatoes and onions dry with some kitchen paper or a clean dish cloth. Do this twice for best results. Put into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the eggs, flour, baking powder, fresh dill and Mrs Elswood Haimisha pickled cucumbers.
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a shallow frying pan so that it covers the base about 1cm/ ½ inch.
- When the oil is hot, add a spoonful of mixture. Do not overcrowd the pan as it will reduce the oil temperature. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack.
- Continue frying in batches until all the potato mixture has been used up.
- Finish off in the oven 200C for about 10 minutes for a final crispy texture.
- Garnish: Combine the apple puree, dill, white horseradish sauce, pickles and sour cream -if using together. Use as a dip with the hot latkes.
Tagged in: Baking Powder, Chanukah, Eggs, Flour, fresh dill, Friday Night, Israeli, onion, Pickled cucumbers, Potatoes, Shabbat, Vegetarian