1) Heat half the oil in a large heavy saucepan. Season the lamb and fry in batches until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2) Add the remaining oil and sauté the onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, ras el hanout and honey and fry for 5 minutes.
3) Return the lamb to the pan and add the chicken stock, saffron, tomatoes, cinnamon and lemon zest.
4) Stir, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 2 ½ hours.
5) Add the apple rings and prunes and cook for a final 30 minutes.
To serve the stylish way:
Dust the plate with freshly ground black pepper, and serve with some dried apple rings and a sprinkling of parsley and toasted split almonds.