- Honey cake of all descriptions is a must to celebrate Rosh Hashanah.
- This is my vegan recipe and is made with ‘silan’ date honey which is a thick brown fruity syrup.
- I have also included dried dates that provide natural sweetness as well as texture in the cake.
- This is a cake which you will want to make a firm favourite for many years to come to celebrate the sweet New Year!
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Makes 1 loaf
- 150g dried dates – roughly chopped
- 50g pistachios – roughly chopped
- 225g silan ‘date honey’
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 150ml apple puree
- 200g wholemeal plain flour – or even gluten free flour – it will work!
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 50g almonds with skin on – toasted
- Line a 1 kg loaf tin with baking parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Soak dates in boiling water while you prepare the batter.
- Mix chopped pistachio nuts, drained figs and honey, oil, and apple puree.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, almond essence, baking powder and salt.
- Combine until moist. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and smooth the top with a spatula. Top with the toasted almonds.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove it from the tin and when the cake cools down cut into thick slices.
Tagged in: Almonds
, apple puree
, date honey
, dried dates
, Rosh Hashanah