An ideal cake for family tea or as a dessert.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 50 minutes
- Serves: 8 – 10 people
- 125g unsalted butter / margarine
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 50g ground almonds
- 100g SR Flour
- 2 Gala/Russet or Pink Lady apples – peeled, cored and cut into 12 segments
- 100g blackberries
- For the Topping
- 1 large pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 25g butter/ margarine – chopped
- 25g toasted hazelnuts – roughly chopped
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160C/ 140C Fan/ Gas mark 3.
- Line and grease a 22cm round loose based cake tin with baking parchment paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and ground almonds and flour slowly and combine well.
- Add 2/3rds of the apples to the mixture and all the blackberries.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and smooth out evenly.
- Scatter over the remaining apples over the surface.
- For the topping, sprinkle over the cinnamon, demerara sugar and chopped butter.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove the cake from the oven and scatter over the toasted hazelnuts.
Dust with icing sugar.