- This Italian inspired creation references to the colours of the Italian flag by using the tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella. Delicious warm or cold as part of a buffet, picnic, lunch, or for dinner with a salad.
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Serves: 8 people
- 1 small cauliflower about 450g– outer leaves removed – broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions – peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes – roughly chopped
- 15g fresh basil leaves – chopped
- 150g baby mozzarella balls
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 7 eggs
- 120g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- Salt and freshly black pepper
- 100g plum tomatoes – sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 400 F/ gas mark 6.
- Line and grease a loose based 22cm cake tin.
- Cook the cauliflower in a saucepan of simmering water for about 15 minutes or until the florets are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Transfer the cauliflower, onions, and garlic to a large bowl. Add the cherry tomatoes, basil, mozzarella balls and mixed herbs and mix well.
- In a mixer, whisk together the eggs, flour, baking powder and salt and pepper.
- Pour this into the tomato mixture and transfer to the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then remove briefly.
- Add the sliced tomatoes positioned in a circular pattern starting from the outside and then return to the oven for a final 35 minutes or until golden and set; a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for about 20 minutes before removing from the cake tin.
- Serve: Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil and a dusting of black pepper
Tagged in: Brunch