- Wow - these are an any time snack: a breakfast treat, mini dessert or perfect to add to your lunch box. Rhubarb is now in season, an unusual vegetable that is very often referred to as a fruit.
- The slightly sour flavour of the rhubarb works well with the caramelised brown sugar that is added with the oats, coconut, and lemon juice to these muffins.
- And….. you can make this gluten free and it is vegan and nut free too!
- You will need a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Makes: 12 small muffins
- 250g chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 160g brown sugar, divided in half
- 4 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 25g corn flour
- 100g rolled oats (gluten free optional)
- 80g plain flour
- 50g shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40g melted non-dairy margarine
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 80g brown sugar, 3 tablespoons water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Combine the cornflour and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, coconut, salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in non-dairy margarine rhubarb and mix well to combine.
- Take a heaped tablespoon and insert into the cup cases. Level out the mixture so that it is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 185° for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.They can also be frozen.
Tagged in: cornflour
, shredded coconut