A Seder night meal needs to be flexible and family friendly. Roast flavoured with oranges, olives, and garlic and lemon juice is ideal especially as you can cook it slowly and it will not try out!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients:12 chicken thighs/ pieces of chicken – skin removed
1 bunch fresh oregano – leaves chopped
Juice of 2 oranges
Zest of 1 orange
3 cloves garlic – peeled and roughly chopped
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly black pepper
200g mixed green and black olives (pitted and chopped)
2 garlic cloves – skinned and finely chopped
1-2 red chillies - deseeded and finely chopped – optional
Zest of 1 orange and 1 tablespoon orange juice
2 fresh oregano sprigs – leaves only
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
2 small oranges – sliced
Pinch of sugar
Method1) Trim the chicken thighs / pieces of any excess fat or skin and place in a large dish.
2) Add the oregano, garlic, orange juice and zest, 2 tablespoons oil and some black pepper. Mix with your hands, cover and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.
3) For the olive topping, put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix and set aside.
4) Preheat the oven to 190C/ 170F fan/ Gas mark 5.
5) Take the chicken out of the marinade. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and sauté on both sides until golden. Do in batches so the chicken is in one layer.
6) Transfer to an ovenware dish, add the marinade ingredients and roast covered for 20 minutes.
7) Remove from the oven and now add the orange slices some under the chicken and some on top. Add pinch of sugar and roast for another 20 minutes.
8) When ready to serve, scatter over the olive topping.