This is a tasty winter warming vegetarian dish; the topping of crispy onions is my favourite! The spice mix gives the rice an amazing aromatic taste that will enhance whatever other dish you serve with it.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:300ml sunflower oil – for frying
6 onions – peeled and sliced in rings
4 tablespoons plain flour –seasoned
300g green lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons cumin seeds
4 tablespoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
500g basmati rice
1 teaspoon sugar
1 litre vegetable stock
Garnish: Sprigs of coriander leaves
Method1) Heat the sunflower oil in a deep heavy based frying pan until the oil starts to sizzle.
2) Coat the onions in the seasoned flour, dust off any excess and fry in for 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp. Drain on a rack and set aside.
3) Cook the lentils according to the packet instructions with stock or in the steam oven for 20 minutes on 100% steam. Drain and set aside.
4) Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in the pan. Add the cumin and coriander seeds. Cook for about 2 minutes or until they become fragrant. Add the turmeric and cinnamon. Cook for another minute.
5) Add the rice, sugar, lentils and vegetable stock. Season well. Bring to the boil and simmer covered for about 15 minutes. Turn the heat off and leave for a final 10 minutes.
6) Stir in half of the fried onions.
7) Transfer to a serving dish.
Garnish with the remaining fried onions and sprigs of fresh coriander.