These are a tasty Chanukah treat and perfect for the holiday season. Halloumi cheese remains quite firm when cooked so it retains its shape. For a perfect finish ensure you coat the cheese well and evenly with flour, egg and then sesame seeds. You can also enhance the taste of these canapes by adding some spices to the plain flour – like paprika, cumin or coriander for a deeper flavour.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients:2 tablespoons plain flour
100g sesame seeds
400g packet halloumi cheese, cut into cubes, about 2cm inch
200m vegetable oil / rapeseed oil
1 tablespoon clear honey
2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley.
Method1. Place the flour onto a plate.
2. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl.
3. Pour sesame seeds onto a second plate. Coat haloumi cubes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then roll in sesame seeds to coat.
4. Pour oil into a large saucepan or deep frying pan until it reaches about 4 cm deep. Heat the oil until hot.
5. Gently cook the coated halloumi pieces in the oil. Do not overcrowd the saucepan. Cook, turning cubes often, until sesame seeds turn golden brown, about 2 minutes.
6. Transfer to a rack to cool and for the excess oil to drip off. Repeat with remaining cubes.
7. Drizzle honey over the haloumi cubes just before serving.
To serve the stylish way:
Sprinkle over some pomegranate seeds and finely chopped parsley.