- These nutritious carrot scones with walnuts are made with yogurt and a moderate amount of sugar.
- They are crispy on the outside, light and fluffy on the inside, and perfect to pair with either sweet or savoury ingredients so enjoy for breakfast, brunch, with coffee or for a tea time treat.
- It can also be made dairy free with non dairy substitutes of margarine, non dairy yoghurt which can make the recipe vegan.
- 120g carrots peeled and finely grated
- 280g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 80g cold butter
- 1 egg
- 100g yoghurt
- 50g walnuts – roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon – milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Line a large baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, sugar, salt, mixed spice and cinnamon and stir thoroughly using a whisk.
- Add the butter and using your fingertips rub until the mixture has the consistency of fine crumbs. Stir in the chopped walnuts and set aside.
- Whisk together the egg and yogurt until smooth.
Add the grated carrots and stir thoroughly.
- Add the carrot mixture into the flour mixture and stir using a wooden spoon. When it's no longer possible to stir turn the dough onto a work surface.
Using your hands fold any remaining flour mixture into the dough so that all the ingredients are combined but the dough is still very lumpy and sticky - do this by kneading very lightly, not pressing too much. Scrape off any batter that's sticking to your hands and combine with the dough.
- Press the dough gently to flatten it until it's roughly 2-3 cm thick. Do NOT knead (even if you are tempted to!).
- Transfer the dough onto the baking sheet and using a knife cut out triangles by pressing down firmly (rather than slicing back and forth).
- Separate the triangles, brush the tops with a little milk and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.