- A tasty side dish that is perfect with meat or fish or just enjoy this vegan as it is. Use cooked rice immediately or refrigerate.
- Serves 6 people
- 250g cooked basmati rice
- 4 teaspoons black onion or nigella seeds
- 2 tablespoon coriander seeds -crushed
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut - roasted
- 100g flaked almonds – roasted
- 75g dried cranberries – soaked in boiling water and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion – peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped
- 400g tin chick peas – drained and rinsed
- Small bunch each of parsley, dill and coriander
- Garnish: 2 lemons – cut into wedges
- Combine the black onion seeds and coriander seeds together and crush either with a rolling pin or pestle and mortar.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400 F/ gas mark 6.
- Place the desiccated coconut, almonds and spices on a baking tray and toast until golden. This takes about 5 minutes so do put a timer on!
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat a frying pan with the olive oil and sauté the onions until crisp. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the left over/ cooked rice, chick peas and dried cranberries.
- Heat thoroughly, mixing well and stir in the spices, almonds and coconut.
- Stir in the chopped herbs and garnish with lemon wedges.
Tagged in: Basmati Rice
, chick peas
, dried cranberries
, red onion