- Jackfruit is now readily available in supermarkets and health food shops in a can. It’s texture looks like shredded meat and it has a surprisingly sweet flavour like mango, pineapple and banana. It is very often used in vegan recipes as fake meat!
- Fresh jackfruit is quite expensive and can be enjoyed raw or cooked; even the seeds are edible. One unique aspect of jackfruit is its unusually large size. If you want to buy it, you will find it in the Asian supermarkets normally sold in pieces.
- This salad is a delicious combination of BBQ jackfruit and Asian slaw with crispy sweet potato chips
- Preparation Time: 35 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minute
- Serves: 6 people
- Red cabbage and apple slaw
- 150g red cabbage thinly shredded
- 1 apple eg granny smith or pink lady - chopped into thin matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 25ml sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- For the sweet potato fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into fries
- olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- BBQ Jackfruit
- 1 tin 400g -Jackfruit, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 50ml BBQ sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To assemble
- 1 avocado, stone removed and thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions chopped
For the red cabbage and apple slaw
For the sweet potato fries
- Combine the cabbage, apple and carrot in a large bowl. In a cup, mix the sherry vinegar, maple syrup, and Dijon mustard.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the slaw and toss to combine. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour (or up to a couple days).
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Line a baking tray with baking parchment paper.
Put fries in a bowl. Spray with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Spread out in a single layer on the prepared baking tray.
Bake for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- For BBQ Jackfruit, use your hands to tear the jackfruit into shreds.
- Line another baking sheet with parchment paper. Mix the BBQ sauce with the Jackfruit and sliced onions.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Spread the sweet potato fries out on a large plate or platter.
- Top with the BBQ jackfruit, avocado slices and chopped spring onions and serve with a generous helping of red cabbage and apple slaw.
Tagged in: American
, Red cabbage
, spring onion
, sweet potato