These cookies make ideal mishloah manot gifts. You can vary the size so that they fit your bags or little baskets.
Finding the perfect cookie recipe can be challenge as so much can go wrong. If the oven temperature is too high they are flat, dry and burnt, if too much butter is added to the mixture, they taste too rich and have an unpleasant after taste. However this recipe is well balanced and produces the ultimate pecan and chocolate cookie! In addition to its taste and appearance, it takes less than 30 minutes to make and cook!
I like to bake them until they are golden brown but still slightly chewy in the middle.
On a health note, pecans are a good source of protein, potassium and vitamin E ~ so don’t feel too guilty about a little indulgence when enjoying these delicious cookies!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:100g unsalted butter or margarine
110g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
200g plain flour
1 large egg
½ teaspoon baking powder
100g dark chocolate – roughly chopped or use chocolate drops
100g pecans – roughly chopped
Method1) Pre-heat the oven to 160 C/ 325 F/ Gas mark 3.
2) Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking parchment paper.
3) Cream together butter or margarine with the sugar until fluffy and smooth.
4) Add the egg and vanilla essence, then beat again until smooth. Sift in the flour, salt and baking powder into the bowl and mix again.
5) Stir in the chocolate and nuts.
6) Spoon tablespoons of chocolate mixture onto the baking trays leaving a space for spreading. Flatten with the back of a fork.
7) Bake for 15 minutes until golden
8) Cool on the trays for 2- 3 minutes before moving to a rack. As they cool they slightly harden.
Will freeze or store in air tight container for 4- 5 days.