This is a tasty, quick breakfast, brunch or lunch.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 8-12 minutes Serves: 1
- 9 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red pepper – deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp good-quality olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like
- 5 pitted olives, sliced
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 tsp small capers, rinsed – optional
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty bread or warm ciabatta, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.
- Scatter the tomatoes, red pepper and garlic over the base of a small ovenproof dish.
- Drizzle over half of the oil and all the vinegar, then season well with salt and pepper. Bake for 3 minutes.
- Scatter half of the basil and the olives over the tomatoes, then make a space in the centre and crack the egg into the space.
- Scatter the rest of the olives and the capers over the top with the second teaspoon of oil, and some more freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake for another 8–12 minutes or more, depending on how you like your egg cooked.
- Serve with crusty bread or warm ciabatta.