For a true taste of summer, use this recipe as part of a BBQ meze of dishes. You can start the dough, marinate the chicken and make the salsa a day in advance.
Preparation Time: 1 hour plus rising and marinating
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4- 6 people
Ingredients:For the flat bread
7g dried yeast
220ml warm water
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons dried oregano
½ teaspoon golden caster sugar
350g strong white bread flour
50ml olive oil -plus extra for greasing
For the chicken
8 boneless chicken thighs (skin on if possible)
Zest and juice 2 lemons
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
3 garlic cloves- peeled and crushed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons coriander – finely chopped
For the Salsa
1 small red onion
20g fresh coriander
125g cherry tomatoes
½ red pepper – deseeded
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons mild sweet paprika
Pinch sugar and season to taste
Garnish: Wedges of lemon, sprigs of fresh coriander
Method1) Mix the yeast with 100ml warm water. Leave for 5 minutes for the yeast to activate. In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, herbs, salt, olive oil, flour and the yeast mixture. Using an electric mixer, start to mix and gradually add the remaining warm water until a smooth dough has formed.
2) Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise. ( About 2 hours)
3) Place the chicken in a shallow non metallic dish. Cover with all the ingredients, mix together and leave to marinate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
4) Bring the chicken to room temperature 1 hour before grilling.
5) Thread the thighs onto 4 large metal skewers or wooden ones soaked in water for 10 minutes.
6) Heat on an outdoor BBQ or grill for 6 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Cook on a medium heat so that they do not burn.
7) For the salsa, put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until chopped but not too fine. Pour into a serving bowl and season to taste.
8) To complete the flat bread, heat the BBQ or preheat the oven to 225C. Knock back the dough then divide into 6. Dust some baking sheets with flour and roll out the dough balls into thin flatbreads.
9) Brush some olive oil onto the top and bake for about 5 -10 minutes. (If you are using the BBQ sit directly onto the bars oil sided down.)
10) Repeat to cook all the flat breads.
To serve: Spoon salsa onto your flat breads and top with your garlic and lemon chicken. Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of coriander.