- These black bean burgers have all the flavours of Tex Mex and I like to include them as part of a themed Mexican meal. Enjoy with rice, tomato salsa and nachos.
- When shaping the burgers, make sure they are bigger than the ‘bun’.
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Makes: 4 large burgers
- 2 x 400g/14oz tin black beans – rinsed and drained
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- small bunch coriander, stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 4 wholemeal burger buns, sliced avocado, sliced red onion and salad leaves, to serve
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
- 1 red chilli- deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion- finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander – roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Add the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, coriander stalks and ½ the leaves, egg and BBQ sauce to the food processor and whizz to combine.
- Add the black beans and pulse together so that you have chunky pieces. Remove to a bowl and season to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 4, then wet your hands and shape into burgers. The burgers can now be frozen.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting or if you prefer to bake them, preheat the oven to 200C/ 400F/ Gas mark 6.
- Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and crisp or bake for 15 minutes on 200C.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the guacamole . Mash the avocado, add the spring onions, tomatoes, chilli, garlic, lime zest and juice and a good grind of black pepper. Split the buns in half and spread the bases with some of guacamole . Top each with leaves, avocado, onion, a burger and some salsa, then serve.
Tagged in: avocado
, bbq sauce
, black beans
, Burger buns
, Red Onions
, Tex Mex