I was excited to discover a new cut of meat, boneless, skinless turkey thigh in my butcher and decided to make this recipe with it. You could of course use chicken pieces if you prefer.
I have lightly dusted the meat in a sesame herb spice mix and then slow roasted it for 2 hours to tenderize. Prepare in advance ready for the oven up to 2 days in advance.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes plus 15 minutes to rest
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Serves: 4 – 6 people
Ingredients:Spice Mix: 2 tablespoon sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons dried oregano, 1 tablespoon dried thyme, 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1.2 kg skinless, boneless turkey thigh
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 red onions – peeled and cut into crescents
500ml chicken stock
150ml white wine/ apple juice
2 garlic cloves – peeled and finely chopped
150g pitted black olives – keep back 1-2 tablespoons for garnish
Juice of 1 lemon
Garnish: Sprigs of fresh thyme. Slices of lemon and a handful of black olives
Method1) Dust the meat in the spice mix.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Brown the turkey on both sides just to seal the spices and colour the flesh. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes.
3) Transfer to an ovenware dish.
4) Add the stock and wine/ apple juice so the meat is covered.
5) Stir in the garlic, olives and lemon juice.
6) Preheat the oven to 160C/ 320F/ Gas mark 3.
7) Roast covered for 2 hours.
8) Remove from the oven. Place the meat on a carving board, cover with foil and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
9) Slice the meat and return to the ovenware dish. Keep warm in the oven / hot plate until ready to serve.