This is a really tasty family friendly recipe, comfort food at its best! Don’t wait for the winter cold nights for the occasion to make this, any time is a good time! I like to serve it with mashed sweet potato or crispy jacket potatoes.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 4 -6 people
Ingredients:2 tablespoons vegetable/ rapeseed oil
2 red onions – peeled and sliced
1 leek – trimmed and sliced
450g chestnut mushrooms- washed and sliced
12 sausages – any type
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoons plain flour
200ml red wine
100ml beef stock
200g whole chestnuts – peeled and vacuumed packed or frozen peeled.
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Garnish: Sprigs of parsley
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350 F/ Gas mark 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
3. Add the onions, leeks, mushrooms and sausages and coriander.
4. Sauté for 10 minutes and then stir in the flour. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Transfer to a large ovenware dish. Add the wine, stock, and chestnuts.
6. Cover the dish with foil or a lid.
7. Cook for 40 minutes.
8. Serve immediately – remove the lid / foil covering and garnish with sprigs of parsley.