Pesach is not Pesach unless we are munching on almond macaroons, coconut pyramids and cinnamon balls – the traditional favourites. I have made these using pecan nuts instead of almonds to give them a pleasant twist! As this recipe uses 5 egg whites – it is interesting to remember that you can freeze egg whites and 1 egg white is equivalent to 1 tablespoon/ 1 fl oz. When I am making pastry or glazing bread the egg yolks are used but the egg whites are then frozen for an occasion like this!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 48 biscuits
Ingredients:5 egg whites
Pinch of salt
225g roughly chopped pecans
225g brown sugar or caster sugar if not available
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
48 split pecans
Method1) Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 375F/ Gas mark 5.
2) Line 2 baking sheets with bakewell paper.
3) Whisk the egg whites in the mixer with a pinch of salt on a slow speed. Gradually increase the speed. Slowly add the sugar and beat until the eggs are stiff but not dry.
4) Add the vanilla essence, and stir in the chopped pecans
5) Place a tablespoon of the mixture on to the baking sheet.
6) Flatten the biscuits by sitting one pecan half on top of each.
7) Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
8) Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.