- This is a Bakewell style of Passover cake studded with cherries and chocolate. I have used tinned cherries but you could use frozen, defrosted cherries instead. Enjoy as a dessert or for tea.
- It also freezes well so if you want a cake to make ahead of the festivities, this one works. You can also place the mixture into little cup cake cases – these only need 20 minutes to cook.
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Makes: 1 loaf
- 200g butter/ non dairy margarine
- 140g jar/ tin cherries - drained
- 140g ground almonds
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons Passover baking powder
- 50g fine matzah meal or cake meal
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 100 dark chocolate drops/ chopped chocolate
- 100g dark chocolate -roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to160C.
- Line and grease a large loaf tin.
- Toss the cherries in 1 tablespoon of matzah meal, then set aside.
- Whisk the butter/ non dairy margarine and sugar in a mixer and cream together until light and fluffy. Add the
- eggs one at time beating well between each addition.
- Fold in the remaining matzah meal, baking powder, ground almonds, almond extract, drained cherries and chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- When the cake is cool transfer to a rack.
- Melt the topping chocolate in a double-boiler or the microwave, then drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Scatter with almonds and leave to set before serving.
Tagged in: almond extract
, dark chocolate
, Ground Almonds
, Matzah Meal
, Passover cake
, Passover tea