- This fun, hearty soup is a meal in itself – made with black beans, sweetcorn, and shredded chicken, topped with crispy tortilla chips and sliced avocado.
- If you like, you can use leftover traditional Jewish chicken soup in the broth, or any leftover roast chicken in the body of the soup.
- Preparation Time:10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Serves: 6 people
- For the Tortilla Chips
- 6 round tortilla wraps – cut into 2cm strips
- 100ml rapeseed oil
- Pinch of salt
- For the Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion – peeled and chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 1 red chilli – deseeded and finely chopped or 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 800ml chicken stock – 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder with 800ml boiling water
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 400g tin black beans – drained
- 100g sweetcorn – tinned or frozen
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 avocado – sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 lime – cut into slices
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a small saucepan until hot. Add tortilla strips in small batches and fry until crisp. Remove and transfer to a rack to drain. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Heat the olive oil in large deep saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and cook until the onion has softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls, top with tortilla strips, lime wedges, coriander and sliced avocado.
Tagged in: avocado
, Chicken Stock
, Friday Night
, red onion