- This is a tasty warming dish that is ideal for Sukkot entertaining – easy to make for a large quantity and the baskets add a little finesse to the finished dish; it is also happens to be vegan too!I just love
- Mexican food and first made it as part of a themed event for my daughter’s engagement party celebration. Use drained, rinsed tinned beans to reduce cooking time.
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Serves: 6 people.
- 200g dried black beans or you can used 2 400g tinned black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots – peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 red onions – peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 red peppers – de seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies – deseeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – peeled and roughly chopped
- 10 large plum tomatoes – roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 25g dark chocolate – roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tortilla Basket
- 6 tortilla wraps (whole-wheat or plain)
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- To serve: diced avocado dressed in lime juice
For the baskets
- Cook the black beans in simmering water for 1 hour or steam at 100* for 50 minutes in a steam oven or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a deep frying pan with olive oil. Add the carrots, onions, peppers, chillies and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes and then add the tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon, chocolate, tomato puree, brown sugar and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the black beans. Check seasoning and spoon into the prepared baskets.
- Preheat the oven to 200C / Gas mark 6.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the inside of a 11cm ramekin/ glass ovenware dish with rapeseed oil.
- Brush the tortilla on both sides with a little oil and mould into the ramekin.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden. Remove immediately and set aside on a rack to cool. (These can be made 3-4 days in advance and stored in an airtight container).
Tagged in: avocado
, black beans
, Dinner Party
, Family dinner
, Red Onions
, red peppers
, tortilla wraps