An incredibly delicious gluten free cake. I have used dates to add sweetness and the date and sunflower yoghurt for a low fat creaminess.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 - 10
Ingredients:For the Topping
25g cold butter cubed
25g brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
55g gluten free white Flour
For the Cake
300g white gluten free flour
1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
170g soft butter
150g softened dates
1 large egg plus an egg yolk
400ml Stapeltons Date and Sunflower Seed Yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g blackberry jam
Method1. Preheat your oven to 160C/ Gas Mark 3.
2. Grease and line a 20 x 30 cm baking tin with parchment paper.
3. Using a food processor, make the topping by combining the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
5. Using a mixer whisk the butter and dates until well combined.
6. Add the eggs and mix on med-high, scraping down the bowl at least once.
7. Add half of the yogurt and half of the flour mixture to the batter.
8. Mix well and scrape down bowl.
9. Add the remaining flour mixture, vanilla and yogurt and mix through until well combined.
10. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan and spread out evenly.
11. Spoon the blackberry jam on top and swirl it through the mix with a knife.
12. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the surface.
13. Bake for about 1 hour, checking at the 45-minute mark for doneness.
14. The cake should be springy to the touch when gently pushed in the middle.
To serve cut into squares.