This is traditional cheese cake with a caramelised centre and topping of crunchy pecan nuts. Straightforward to make and will freeze if you wish to make it in advance.
The secret of the perfect cheese cake is to use a good loose base lined tin, leave to cool in the oven once cooked and then chill overnight.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes plus a minimum 2 hour 10 minutes cooling time
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Serves: 12- 15 people
250g digestive biscuits
100g butter, melted
675g curd or cream cheese
100g caster sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
75ml maple syrup
100g pecans, chopped
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon corn flour
400ml sour cream
50g caster sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
35g pecans, toasted and roughly chopped
30g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
cocoa powder for dusting
Method1. To make the base place biscuits into the food processor. Whizz together to make crumbs.
2. Add the melted butter and whizz again.
3. Transfer the mixture to a lined 23 cm / 10inch loose based cake tin.
4. Press the crumb mixture to the base.
5. Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F/ gas mark 6. Bake for 10 minutes until just golden.
6. For the filling, whisk the cheese in the electric mixer until fluffy. Then add the sugar, vanilla, corn flour, maple syrup and pecans. Whisk well.
7. Very slowly add the eggs, one at a time, without over-beating.
8. Reduce the oven temperature to 160C Fan/ 350F/ Gas mark 4.
9. Pour into the tin and bake for 50 minutes.
(For a steam oven go to function fan plus, temperature 150 and cook for about 1 hour.)