This elegant layered potato dish is a great accompaniment for just about any dish – roast chicken, grilled steaks, chops or grilled salmon. Just a small amount of truffle oil is needed to give a delicious earthy flavour which gently permeates into the crispy potatoes.
Truffle oil both white and black is now available kosher from Truffle corner can add pure elegance to so many recipes. Just a splash is all that is required to add an earthy elegance to your classic dish.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Serves: 6 people
Ingredients:1 kg roasting potatoes eg King Edwards –peeled
2 tablespoons melted butter/ non-dairy margarine
1 tablespoon plain flour
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black truffle oil
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil – to coat frying pan
Garnish: 2 tablespoons fresh chives, 1 teaspoon black truffle oil
Method1) Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400F / Gas mark 6.
2) Slice the potatoes in a food processor or use a mandolin. You need them to be about ¼ cm thick.
3) Rinse in cold water to remove any excess starch and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper.
4) Whisk the melted butter, flour, egg whites, salt, truffle oil, smoked paprika and pepper together and toss together with the potatoes until thoroughly coated.
5) Using an ovenproof non-stick frying pan, coat it with the oil.
6) Starting from the outer edge of the pan arrange the potato slices in an overlapping spiral to cover the base. Put another layer of potatoes on top in the same circular way so that they form an even thickness.
7) Place the frying pan over a medium heat and cook covered until sizzling and the potatoes around the edge start to turn translucent. This will take about 20 minutes.
8) Remove from the heat and transfer to the oven.
9) Bake for about 50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and crispy.
10) Gently ease the sides with a knife so that it can be inverted onto a chopping board.
11) Using a serrated knife, cut into wedges and serve immediately.
To serve the stylish way, sprinkle with chopped chives and a drizzle of black truffle oil.