1. Put the minced beef in a bowl. Add half of the breadcrumbs and all the remaining ingredients including the salt and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon.
2. Using wet hands, divide the mixture into equal portions and roll each into a ball.
3. Flatten the meatballs slightly so that they are about 1 cm thick (size of a golf ball). Chill for about 30 minutes to firm up.
4. Meanwhile, make the pepperonata. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 minutes, stirring frequently until softened.
5. Add the pepper strips and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes or passata, red wine and parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring. Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the sauce is thick and reduced. Taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook for a final 10 minutes.
9. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and return to the saucepan.
To serve the stylish way: Spoon a generous helping of meatballs and fettuccine on to a warm plate and garnish with sprigs of basil and a dusting of black pepper.