This is a firm family Rosh Hashonah favourite and quick to make. Enjoy as a dessert or for tea. Using store cupboard ingredients, it is an excellent recipe to have when you need a last minute quick fix sweet!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
Serves: 6 – 8
3 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2 cm slices
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon.
- In the food processor, cream the margarine and 100g sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to a greased and lined 2 kg loaf tin.
- Push apple slices vertically into batter, placing them close together.
- Bake at 150 C for about 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.