Raw fresh beetroot make excellent latkes. The secret of their success like all latkes is to make sure that the oil is hot before you start frying. This ensures crisp and crunchy fritters that the whole family will love!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
600 g raw red beetroot – peeled
200g potato – peeled and coarsely grated
2 small onions – peeled and grated
2 tablespoons tahini paste
1 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon fresh dill 200g plain flour
100g porridge oats 2 eggs – beaten
Salt and pepper – to taste oil for cooking
1 tablespoon horseradish sauce
6 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon fresh dill
100g Smoked salmon – cut into small pieces
1 sliced lemon
Sprigs of dill
- Combine the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Scrub the beetroots thoroughly, then grate them coarsely.
- Using a clean tea cloth or kitchen paper, squeeze out any excess liquid from the grated onions and grated potato. Now add this to the grated beetroot.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix well.
- Season, then stir in the tahini, flour, oats, egg, coriander and dill.
- Warm a shallow film of oil in a nonstick frying pan. Carefully drop generous spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil, flattening them down with the back of the spoon as you go. Leave them to cook over a moderate heat for a couple of minutes until just starting to crisp a little, then with the help of a palette knife or fish slice, turn them over quickly and cook the other side. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
To serve the stylish way: Add a small spoonful of dressing and a slice of smoked salmon on top of the latkes. Garnish with fresh dill and a slice of lemon.