- Authentic Paella is made with Valencia rice. I like to use the traditional spice of smoked paprika, made in Spain from smoked ground pimiento peppers.
- It can be found in varying intensities from sweet and mild (dulce) and medium hot (agridulce) and hot (picante).
- It adds the absolutely perfect taste to paella giving the dish a striking deep red colour. It has an intoxicating smoky aroma from slow oak smoking, and a silky texture from grinding between stones.
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Serves 6 people
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 red onions- peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 340g Valencia Spanish rice or use risotto rice
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 150ml dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 225g frozen peas
- 225g cherry tomatoes
- 100g cavelo nero – remove central stalks and shred
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- For the garnish:
- 2 tablespoons black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 courgette- spiralized / grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley – roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a large deep-frying pan. Lightly sauté the onions, peppers, garlic and smoked paprika until softened. (Approx 5 minutes)
- Add the rice to the pan and cook for a further 2 minutes and stir well.
- Place the vegetable stock, wine and saffron in a separate saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock to the vegetable mixture gradually and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the peas, cherry tomatoes, cavelo nero, zest and juice of lemon and season well. Add the lid and leave for 5 minutes to complete cooking.
- To serve: Serve a generous helping on to a warmed plate, garnish with black olives, spiralized courgette, lemon wedges, parsley and a good sprinkling of black pepper.
Tagged in: black olives
, Cavelo Nero
, Cherry Tomatoes
, Main course
, Main course vegetarian
, Red Onions
, red peppers
, smoked paprika
, Spanish rice
, Summer Vegetarian
, White Wine
, yellow peppers