- Syrian food contains many elements of cuisines from a wide geographic area including Spanish and Italian influences as well as the Far East making rose water and lime important flavours.
- Cinnamon, turmeric, sweet paprika, cumin, allspice, saffron, olives and preserved lemons are often incorporated in their delicious cuisine.
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Serves:4- 6 people
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil/ rapeseed oil divided, plus 1 teaspoon
- 250g basmati rice
- 500ml water
- 200g carrots- peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 medium size onions – peeled and roughly chopped
- 75g dried apricots, quartered
- 100g dried figs – stalk removed and quartered
- 50g dried cherries
- 50g pistachios
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Garnish: Seeds from 1 pomegranate and sprigs of fresh mint
- Combine salt, sweet paprika, turmeric, cumin and black pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep saucepan with a lid. Add rice and spices and stir well.
- Cook over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly and making sure the rice gets well coated with the oil and the spices.
- Add 500ml water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes, remove from heat and let it sit for 15 minutes covered.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add onions and carrots and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring frequently, adding water 1 tablespoon at a time if necessary, to prevent from burning.
- Transfer onions to a plate and in the same frying pan heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add dried fruit and pistachios nuts and cook over medium low for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the rice is ready, fluff it with a fork, add onions, dried fruit, pistachios and lemon zest and toss well.
- Garnish at the end with a sprinkling of pomegranate seeds and sprigs of mint on the rice.
Tagged in: Carrots
, dried apricots
, dried cherries
, Dried figs
, Pistachio Nuts
, Vegan lunch